Monday, August 20, 2007

Mushyrooms

A nice thing about this place is that, although technically this time of year is the rainy season, the rain never comes until late afternoon. At the moment (6pm) I can hear the thunder rolling in, but it has been sunny and mild all day. Plenty of time to play in the sun.

This morning I collected a million mushrooms with Beto who knows the land. He also knows no English, and I know very little Spanish, so our conversations were of course super complex and interesting. He's got good eyes! He could spot a mushroom from thirty feet away. We collected three types of edible mushrooms and he taught me the kinds not to eat, which is helpful, although my memory sucks so I think for the time being I will only eat the three that we found today. Tonight I will make mushroom tacos!

Tomorrow I get to visit Patzcuaro, which is a city type place nearby. Should be interesting and fun!

2 comments:

S said...

Speaking of rain, are you going to get hit by the hurricane at all? I know you're pretty far inland, but that was one big storm!

Katie said...

Nope, it missed this area. Did get dumped with rain though...