Monday, November 26, 2007

Earthquake!

Today I felt my first earthquake! Very strange feeling. I am sitting upstairs in one of the cabanas and the whole building moved around a bit. Trippy!

The star is where the earthquake happened, and the small blue dot north of the star is near where I am:

It measured 5.8 on Richter scale! Wow!!

---------------------

I got to eat two great big feasts this week! I went to the community center in Eronga on Thanksgiving which was nice and fun. On Saturday we had a harvest dinner here in the bosque with some folks from the area, which was totally cool. Brian cooked a turkey and I cooked other things and other folks brought things and we ate a great humongo feast!

I meant to take pictures of all the food but I forgot, and then people started eating and the food got way less pretty. But, this is what we ate:

Smoked turkey yum! It was delicious. I made soup stock from it yesterday and that is delicious too.

Chickpea nut loaf, Risotto with chard stuffed into a pumpkin, veggie stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes with garlic and rosemary (very tasty!), another rice-ish type thing, pasta with stuff in it, pumpkin/apple pie type thing, and apfelstreudal (amazing!).

We also made mulled wine and spicy apple juice (cider does not exist here...).

Very fun and I am still full!

People learned how to play Jenga which was entertaining to watch. Very good game for bilingual events!

----------------------

There has been some rain this week, which is a good change. It starts to get dusty here now that rainy season is over. The rains have gotten rid of a lot of dust for now. The air is a bit cooler than normal as a result, but that is an ok trade-off.

----------------------

Today I have been reading about saunas and cordwood building. Maybe we will do a test wall to see if the wood here is good to use for this style of building... it is very pretty! And it allows for adding bottles to the structure to allow for light to come through the walls, which would be neat and would recycle. Maybe maybe.

No comments: