Sunday, June 24, 2007

Fat Attack

I recently started eliminating high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils from my diet. Totally shocked by all the foods that I can't eat anymore! Hmm. I shall go take a look in my parent's refrigerator to give good examples.

Ok. Back. My parents are healthy people- my Mom is sort of a nut about food like me. So, this is no typical American kitchen. And STILL there are poisons in their cupboards and refrigerator.

Foods in my parent's house that contain HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP POISON:
-Heinz Ketchup
-Kraft Honey BBQ Sauce
-Bloody Mary Mix
-Lemonade
-Cutsie Natural looking Marianade
-Wheat Thins (Nabisco)

High fructose corn syrup affects our brains chemically, making us think that we are not full after we drink a can of soda.... it also works inside our bodies to help us store more fat than we would otherwise. Man-made terrible poison nastiness. When will we live in a society that looks upon those who feed their children Coke and candy with the same disapproval given to parents who smoke?

Foods in my parent's house that contain HYDROGENATED OIL POISON:
-Jiff Peanut Butter (to my parent's credit, I noticed their next jar is Smucker's Natural PB)
-Pillsbury Chocolate cake mix
-Lipton Cup of Soup
-Bear Creek Soup mix
-IGA Hot cocoa mix

My mom has always been conscious of hydrogenated oils... As soon as research showed what the stuff does to us, she stopped buying margarine and started checking labels. It is pretty safe to assume that all processed food either contains HFCS or partially hydrogenated oils-- trans fats. Even with the new labeling rules, companies can put "0 grams trans fats" on their packaging when the product still contains hydrogenated oils.. WTF!

There is good fat (fish, nuts) which we *need* to survive! We must eat fatty things! Otherwise we would be so hungry and we would not have life. But these hydrogenated fats... they take the place in our bodies where the good fats want to hang out. So the good fats start hanging out in our waistlines rather than where they should be, and our bodies tell us that we are still hungry. Pass the potato chips!

Hydrogenated oils poison us. Literally! With no warning labels! Terrifying. This stuff that we eat-- man-made material. Our bodies can't process something that didn't even exist until the 70s. It's like eating plastic and expecting our digestive system to react normally. Right.

Well. I didn't expect to rant. It is just so freaking absurd to think about all of this... OF COURSE AMERICA IS GETTING FATTER! DUH!!!

*sigh*

No comments: