Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Gnocchi

I have been hearing nice things about gorgonzola and gnocchi, and I have in my memory a friend's discovery of the tastiness of gorgonzola walnut sauce, so last night I made...

Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Walnut Sauce!

Seriously... this is the highest calorie dish I think I've ever prepared. It contains zero ingredients which are low in calories. Zero! I can't believe I made it! I was just so curious how the gnocchi would taste...

What a fun food! Little balls of fluffy potatoes. I think the next time I make gnocchi, I will physically make the gnocchi. Last night, I opened the package and threw the suckers into boiling water. They are so easy! No taste testing for doneness, these boys are done with they float up to the top of the pot! Hello, gnocchis!

The sauce was simple simple. Just butter, gorgonzola, and cream. Added the cream after the butter and cheese had mostly melted, as to avoid curdling. If I ever make this again, which I honestly probably won't, I would lighten the sauce up *big time*. Olive oil instead of butter, milk instead of cream. I think I'd enjoy that more.

I roasted some grape tomatoes for a side. Hmm... I poked them each before I broiled them, thinking that, like a hot dog, this would keep them from exploding. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I did not want explosion of tomato inside of Tori's toaster oven. Whether it was the poking or just my acute sense of when things are done cookin', the tomatoes did not explode and they were my favorite part of the meal. I love fresh things!

The gnocchi with sauce was too rich! Way too rich! I covered the gnocchis with the sauce, then added the chopped walnuts and a little grated parm. It had a nice flavor, and I loved the way the gnocchi feels and tastes, but.. after about four bites I was kind of done. Better for an appetizer maybe. On sticks. Toothpick gnocchi! NO-KEE! Like I said, if I do this gorgonzola/gnocchi combo again, I will lighten up sauce and maybe be able to enjoy more of it.




The picture is kind of blurry, and I should have gone outside, but I wanted to eat the food! I couldn't wait! So impatient!


This morning I used some of the gorgonzola in a mushroom omelet. My first-ever-omelet-experience! I mean, I've eaten them before, but never tried making them. I did good! It was yummy!

I used my new hand blender to beat the eggs. Man, that thing is slick. I love it! All fifty dollars of it!! I have used it twice so far... once for the eggs, and once for a vinaigrette (which I would normally not use a blender for, but since it's new and I like it...).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

next time, try to find some gorgonzola dolce which is a creamier version of gorganzola. don't add cream or butter, or even oil, just toss it with the cheese and serve, with a few walnuts maybe. simple and elegant.

zf

ps - I've the same model immersion blender - except mine is red.

Katie said...

I sat in target for about fifteen minutes debating between red or white.

BIG decisions!