Thursday, July 12, 2007

So MANY Kids!!!

This week in Hickory....

We have a group of 45 kids here to volunteer ALL WEEK LONG. Their week here reminds me of my weeks doing ASP in high school... very similar set-up. They stay in a church and they have several leaders and some of the leaders are good and some are annoying.

Kids of high school age are funny. They are all so different. So many different maturity levels... it's pretty annoying. Some of them are younger than they really are, and some are older. Just depends. On what? Nature knows.

At one point during a conversation (if you could call it that) with a kid today, which consisted of him asking a million stupid questions and saying a million stupid things and me trying to be patient, I finally put my face in my hands and said, "You... are being so YOUNG! How old are you?!?"

He is going to be a sophomore. THat makes him... 15ish. Unbelieveable amount of pointless words coming out of his mouth while he watched his friend do many shovel fulls of mulch.

In other Hickory HFH news, we set the trusses for a hipped roof yesterday... After we set them, I still could not picture what the hell was going on (this is my first hipped roof). Today I had Keith explain to me, and then I understood why I could not picture what was happening. We had two of our trusses in the wrong places. Which is why my eyeballs couldn't tell my brain how the roof was going to work. So greasy nasty crane man came back to help us switch them around, which was actually rather painless, but then greasy nasty crane man stuck around for awhile since we have a bunch of high school kids around. "Ain't got nothin' better goin' on."

No. No, you don't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it the nasty greasy crane guy that wears the overalls with one of the straps undone like everybody did in 6th grade? I shudder just thinking about him: he's one of the creepiest guys I've ever had the displeasure of meeting.

Katie said...

exactly. sometimes he wears cut-off overalls, one strap undone, and no shirt on underneath.

last time, keith and him talked about chlamydia. "it burns in your peehole!"

gross.

Anonymous said...

Good post.